Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Trails to Try

Cape Breton Highlands - Source: risingtideexpeditions.ca
With the warm weather (hopefully) quickly approaching I am beginning to get that craving for fresh air, warm sun on my skin and the pleasant ache from a day of hiking. Nova Scotia is full of diverse trails for all levels of hikers and after tackling Cape George last year I feel like expanding my horizons this year. There are several major trail systems I want to hit up and I have detailed them all below. Whenever I do get to one I will post here about the experience.
One of the trail systems that a fellow hiker recommended was the Kejimkujik National Park Seaside Adjunct Trails. There are two major trail systems here one is a 5.2km hike and the other is 8.7km hike. They offer spectacular views of the seaside and surrounding woodland. I would like to do the 8.7km hike though I read on another blog that it was closed for upgrading. Hopefully it will be reopened for this season. Along with the two major systems there are several smaller trails to explore throughout the park as well as a variety of other activities to try such as canoeing or kayaking.

Board Walk at Keji - Source: Parks Canada
The second trail system I want to hit up this year is Five Island Provincial Park. They offer two trail systems to explore. The Economy Mountain Trail is 5km long and follows and old logging road up Economy Mountain through diverse foliage of birch, maple, beech and white spruce. The second trail is the Estuary Trail that runs along the East River. This trail offers interpretive panels and viewing areas along its length. Five Island Provincial Park has some spectacular geological formations to explore while visiting and they have a campground should you wish to spend the night.
There are two major trail systems I want to visit this summer. The first are the trails in Cape Breton Highlands National Park. This park offers a wealth of trails to explore at a variety of lengths and difficulties. There are over 20 different trails to try from less than a km to over 25km. Each trail has its own amazing sights to see and each visit will bring a different experience.
The second major trail system I want to visit is at Cape Chignecto Provincial Park. There 8 different trails to attempt here some perfect for beginners others more suited to experienced hikers. One hike actually takes four days to complete. I really want to attempt the four day hike and camp along the way to enjoy the full experience. I have never attempted such an ambitious physical feat but that is one of my goals this summer.

Trail to Christy's Field - Source: capechignecto.net

I have only mentioned four spots here and there are others but if I can only get to a few these four are the ones I want to hit up. Along with my hiking excursions I would like to visit other interesting sites around Nova Scotia. For someone who grew up here I have seen surprising little of the province. I plan to remedy that this summer. I hope you will all join me on my adventures in Nova Scotia this summer! As always comments and suggestions are always welcome and encouraged!
 All my information was gathered from the following sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment